Friday, September 12, 2008

Summer Palace & Opening Ceremonies

Septmber 6th, 2008

Today was our first official day in Beijing. The whole group took a shuttle to the Summer Palace. The Summer Palace, you could say, is Beijing's Central Park. The Palace was incredibly beautiful. We passed these orchards of flowers, Chinese souvenir shops and there was a beautful view of a lake where people could go paddle boating.

The Chinese, I believe, are not used to seeing many people with disabilities, in wheelchairs, those who are blind, and those who have prosthetic limbs. The whole group, including me were crowded by about 50 people who would grab us and take pictures with us. There were always many cameras taking pictures of my leg, the wheelchairs, and with us. The Chinese even put their baby children on the laps of the kids in wheelchairs. We passed some gorgeous bridges and lily pad lakes. We were given boxed lunches and the poor Chinese ladies took what we didn't finish to eat. Afterwards, we all took paddle boat rides on the lake for half an hour. What an amazing view! At that time, I was starting to realize just how lucky I was to be in China and how awesome the week was going to be!

Later on, were the...OPENING CERMONIES!!! The whole group started walking towards the Bird's Nest. What a view! After going through security and holding our tickets in my hands, my Mom and I started to get very emotional. This couldn't be happening to us! The Birds Nest was lit up so beautifully that I can't even start to explain what I was going through. The Opening Cermonies, the thrill of it and the excitement all made me feel like everything was going to be okay, and that it was going to be a great week...one I would never forget.

At the Opening Ceremonies, the stadium was packed with sold out tickets. My Mom and I were so shocked but more so grateful at how big of a deal the Chinese made of the Paralympic Games. The Paralympic Games deserved this coverage and honor. Hundreds of people in the stadium started waving colorful flags. Then, the countries started filiing into the Birds Nest. Every now and then there were fireworks, flag waving and light shows! Next, a girl who had her left leg AK amputated did ballet in her wheelchair. People used their hands to perform ballet as her feet. This made my Mom and I choke up.

Later on, the Chinese President announced the official opening of the Paralympic Games. The head of the International Paralympic Commitee also spoke and gave a priceless and very memorable speech. About six Paralympians then, made the rounds around the stadium passing the torch. One person was in a wheelchair, and another was a blind woman who used a service dog to help her walk. After the torch made a full circle, a Chinese man in a wheelchair took the torch in his lap and his wheelchair was attaced to two ropes. Getting a good grip, the man started pulling on the rope, lifting his chair and the torch the reach the Big Torch at the top of the Birds Nest. The man had to take breaks and I imagine his arms got tired! This was one of the highlights of the Opening Cermonies. My mom and I started crying! We all watched in anticipation as the man continued up the rope...and finally reached the top...as we waited in such anxiousness...and he lit the torch! Immediately, fireworks errupted!

There could not have been a better ending to the day! Thank you USOC for giving my Mom and I this amazing, beyond expectations experience to see the Paralympic Opening Cermonies 2008! You may even see me in 2012 or 2016!

No comments: