Friday, September 12, 2008

An Experience at the Olympic Green

September 7th, 2008

Today was the first day we got to see some Paralympians compete!!! Whoo hoo!!!

In the morning everyone took a nice walk from our hotel to the Olympic Green. The Olympic Green is basically a tourist area for the Paralympic Games. The Green consists of the Birds Nest, the Water Cube and many shops, eateries, beautiful water fountains, and a big courtyard for great pictures in front of the Birds Nest and Water Cube!

The whole group participated in a Scavenger Hunt. This was the perfect way to get to explore, enjoy and "take it all in" of the Olympic Green. Each group had to get a picture with a foreigner, get an exotic Paralympic pin and a picture in front of McDonalds! Who knew there would be a McDonalds in China! After the scavenger hunt, we all had lunch at McDonalds.

Next, we went to a Wheelchair Basketball game. I had never seen a Wheelchair Basketball before and I loved every second of it. USA beat ISREAL badly but the court was packed with people and so I enjoyed the game very much!

Afterwards, everyone had more dinner at McDonalds and then we all headed over to the Water Cube to see some swimming!!! The Water Cube was breathtaking from the inside, the diving area, too! I stood in the Water Cube thinking, I watched events here on TV, Michael Phelps broke history records here! After each swimming event and during them, I got to see the athletes up close! During the medal ceremonies, I almost cried at how beautiful they were!

In swimming, I saw Jessica Long (I am one of her biggest fans) win Gold in a close call with Australia in the Women's 100m Butterfly. Go Jessica! I also saw Rudy Garcia Tolsons swipe another world record breaking Gold in the 200m IM. Go Rudy! (Did I mention that before breakfast, the group got to personally meet Rudy at the hotel, hear his story and take pictures with him!) I also saw Erin Popvich swim and win Gold. Go Erin! I also saw Miranda perform and win Gold. Go Miranda! I saw very taken aback by a particular swimmer from Mexico who was missing both arms up to his shoulders and his leg! He had the lead for most of the race that he swam!

The day ended great and what an amazing day at the Water Cube! The view at night was incredible! Can't wait to see what is planned for us all tomorrow! It's sure to be something great, but I don't now how it can top this!

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

This was a great experience!